Dani
My friend Elizabeth, who I deeply respect sent me this book. First off, let me tell you a little bit about her! She is a little bit younger than me, pregnant with her 4th child who is put together and one of the sweetest girls I've ever met. I met her while I was in Oklahoma last year. I was truly amazed that her kids were so well behaved and that she seemed like a picture of what a wife was supposed to be. She was married younger than me, and seems to be a completely content person. When I met her, initially I thought, man...I must be a wreck! She is so relaxed AND her kids are well behaved!! WHERE AM I GOING WRONG!!! **Disclaimer**...I think Samuel is well behaved and because of Elizabeth's example, a lot of discipline was started and changed some of the things Samuel was doing wrong around big time. So thanks Elizabeth!!

Anyway, she recently sent me this book that I've been wanting to read because I've heard so much about it. It's called Created to Be His Help Meet. Now the reason why I am posting this is blog is because of how hard I just laughed at myself and the realization I had. I realized, that I did want to read the book, but the title made me angry! Why would the title make me angry I thought...Then, I read the first chapter and knew right away it was going to be a great book. I started flipping through the rest of the book and I came across this:

The ABCs of being a Help Meet
A. Admit when you are wrong
B. Be positive
C. Cuddle
D. Do it his way
E. Encourage him
F. Fix his breakfast
G. Give back rubs
H. Hug often
I. "I love you" should be said many times daily
J. Joke around in a playful manner
K. Know his needs
L. Listen to him
M. Manage your home well
N. Never hold grudges
O. Open your eyes in the morning and smile
P. Pray for him
Q. Quit nagging him
R. Reminisce about good times
S. Show respect and honor
T. Trust, and earn his trust
U. Understand his need for reverence
V. Vulnerability is a feminine trait; cultivate it
W. Wink at him
X. X is for private times
Y. Yearn to please him
Z. Zealously guard him with your love

Now I am going to be COMPLETELY honest here. I had such a violent reaction to this list (as in a bad one!!). All I translated all of this as was A.) Doormat B.) Doormat C.) Doormat D.) Be a bigger doormat....What is wrong with me!! Then I sat down and really thought. You know, this is the problem with a lot of marriages these days! Exactly my reaction! What is wrong with doing these things? NOTHING! I realize that our society (or at least where I live!) has become so hugely I am woman hear me roar, that we have neglected these things and as a result I believe it is party a reason for the breakdown in marriage these days. Not saying it is all the woman's fault, obviously, but I just wanted to blog and say, I am very interested to see how my attitude changes through reading this book! I'll let you know how it goes! Thoughts anyone?
3 Responses
  1. Stefanie Says:

    I'm going to be honest and say I totally need to work on the same stuff! My reaction was very similar to yours, might be something I'll have to find a copy of when I get settled and find some free time.


  2. Michele Says:

    YES YES AND YES!! i've dealt with the same thing (i.e. feeling like a doormat)!! DAILY I have to remind myself that marriage takes humility; and humility is about being HUMBLE not HUMILIATED. Good post!!


  3. great post. as mothers and wives we can constantly feel like we're giving, giving and giving. when do we get, right? by its so true, that as i look at that list i see Jesus. and it will be by Jesus living through us that we can walk into those sacrifices. you don't have to teach us to be selfish, we're born that way. Its true that loving your husband has to be purposed. a lot of american marriages live in a fantasy that marriage doesn't take work. your right, that is reason so many fail in and outside the church. its great that you have been so honest. i hope this blog speaks to other women as well. thanks for the post.